Monday, August 31, 2009

Celebrations of Life

This weekend I was remembering back to my college days and a Gerontology class I was taking as part of my Sociology major. I vividly remember the topic of age and the many stages of life. My grandfather, pictured here, constantly reminds me that he is in his dying stage. He goes into elaborate details of all the stages of life he has embarked upon. And this week he will celebrate is 92nd Birthday. And as sad as it is to hear him talk about his impending death, I try to reflect on all the stories he has shared with me over the years. And the many treasures he holds in the photograph albums he covets. So often my visits are trips down memory lane with my mother as a little child growing up in Chicago or his rehabbing a 3 flat on Cullerton Street. This is one of the first non-posed photographs that he has allowed me to capture and hopefully an ongoing project for me...to capture his spirit in celebrating life...especially his. Carpe diem.

No comments: