Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Self Portrait: Split Lighting

In an effort to continually build and define and refine my photographic skills, I joined a photography class at Joliet Junior College several weeks back. Last week my instructor Gene Alvear, a talented professional photographer himself, provided the class with the weekly assignment: Produce an image with some form of portrait lighting. As I reflected on the lighting styles, Rembrandt, loop or butterfly, paramount and split lighting were among my choices. I had to choose just one. In my business and in my studio, I find myself most often using Rembrandt or loop lighting. This assignment called for something different. I decided to give split lighting a try. Now for a subject: Several photographer friends of mine shouted "selfie, selfie". Ok, I decided to give it a whirl. Now for a theme: I thought about it and the black/white images of Irving Penn came to mind. The self portrait would be created as a black and white image. Now for the inspiration: I immediately thought of my brother-in-law's who is scheduled to visit town soon and his awesome shoulder tattoo. It is an image of a smiley face as one half and a skull on the other. Perfect...split lighting, black and white image, utilizing a black and white shirt for greater contrast and statement. Add a bit of compositional design and here is what I came up with. For those that might ask...one photograph, multiple lighting techniques and gobo's, minimal post production...set-up to finished product...about 1.5 hours. Enjoy. Carpe diem!