Thursday, November 11, 2010

A Day with Dad

Veteran's Day...a day of remembrance that I feel many of us take for granted. Do we understand what it represents? Do we have an emotional connection to its meaning? Or is it just another day off for some of us? I had the honor and privilege of assisting the American Legion Post 111 of Orland Park yesterday in a presentation to local school children. The Legion members presented an honor guard with a 21 gun salute to all those that are currently serving and those that have served in the United States Military. Outside of the fact that the men of old were being saluted by the men of new, it was heart stopping to see active military personnel singing "God Bless the USA" by Lee Greenwood as the presentation came to a conclusion. And to make this experience special, I was able to share my time along side my Father. He takes pride in what he does and always gives that extra effort to reach out to others. Here is my Dad and I before the ceremony. Photo taken by my good friend and photographer Mary...Thanks for the lasting memory this photograph will have for me! Carpe diem.

No comments: