Friday, September 18, 2009

My Mind as a Photograph

Earlier this morning, I took an hour to swim at the local high school. This has become my personal time to exercise as well as a way to relax with a very rhythmic, serene type of physical exertion. Most days my senses seem dull while I focus on breathing and pacing myself. Yet today that rhythmic trance was interrupted by an overwhelming mixture of fragrances. The combination included smells of Brute, Old Spice, and a bouquet of flowery perfume like lilac, gardenia, and vanilla...the results of the local exercise group joining me in the pool for their weekly workout session. With each breath I took, the combined fragrances were almost overpowering. But as I continued with my strokes, photographs of smoke images came to mind...paralleling the combination of waves from the pool water and the smells that seemed to be floating through the air. Here is one of the images that came to mind. Carpe diem!

No comments: